Kanban Systems Design (KMP 1)
This 2-day Kanban training class, certified by Lean Kanban University, is for managers, developers, service providers, and anyone wanting to learn the fundamentals of the Kanban Method and understand how to apply them in the design of a Kanban system.
The class includes the use of a Kanban simulation – to learn the characteristics of flow systems and how to improve them – as well as a case study and exercises to design an actual Kanban system.
Led by Andy Carmichael of HUGE IO, an Accredited Kanban Trainer, successful completion of this course is the first of 2 steps to KMP accreditation issued by Lean Kanban University — recognised globally as the leading certifying body for Kanban professionals. The follow-on course Kanban Systems Management (KMP 2), and a team practitioner course, Kanban for the Whole Team (TKP), are also available.
Course Content & Objectives
Participants will learn how to design a Kanban system and initiate change with Kanban. They will learn the basic concepts of flow, pull, and collaborative improvement.
The content of this course covers the following topics, presented in the form of interactive exercises organised in small groups, plus games, classroom teaching and discussion.
The training will enable participants:
- To work with shifting priorities
- To deal with interrupt work and multi-tasking
- To deal with important but not time-critical work
- To avoid having work pile up in one place (or time) while there is a lack of work in another place
- To create flow in the work, the information to perform the work, and the teams that do the work
- To design a Kanban system for a team or service using the STATIK method
- Controlling Work in Progress (from push to pull)
- Visualizing work (designing the card wall)
- Measuring and managing flow (control charts, flow diagrams)
- Making policies explicit (classes of service)
- Managing change and collaborative improvement
Who should attend?
- Managers and leaders in professional services who wish to explore and pursue an alternative path to agility
- Managers, leaders and team members who want to understand the nature of flow systems for knowledge work, and how to design effective systems
- Those who want to introduce a continuous improvement approach to business change
All participants receive:
- Print and PDF versions of classroom workbook
- Print version of David J. Anderson and Andy Carmichael's popular book Essential Kanban Condensed
- A digital copy of the book Kanban by David J. Anderson.
- Certificate of Completion of Lean Kanban University Certified Kanban Training, digital format.
- Membership in Lean Kanban University and a listing in the LKU Alumni Directory.
This is the first of two steps to the KMP accreditation. Order with the KMP2 course, Kanban Systems Management and receive a 10% discount on the second course.