World IA Day 2023 Los Angeles
Welcome to WIAD 2023 Los Angeles!
Interested in User Experience? Have a passion for UI? Are you currently in a profession related to design, research or content strategy? World Information Architecture Day LA might be the perfect conference for you!
The World Information Architecture Association (WIAA) hosts World IA Day and supports global initiatives to spread information about architecture practices. World IA Day is the one day a year the community gets together for a global conference, curated and organized by volunteers around the world, to host and encourage conversations about information architecture.
This year on 4 March 2023, WIAD Los Angeles is hosting the LA event at the beautiful ArtCenter Pasadena with the theme of Orientation & Wayfinding.
Join the Los Angeles information architecture community for a one-day, in-person event featuring guest speakers, and networking!
- Wayfinding is a fundamental human activity and an integral outcome of good information architecture. It helps us to know where we are and to recognize where we could go. Having many choices can be an opportunity, but it can also cause anxiety. Therefore, we are in need of wayfinding systems that support us on our journey.
- Information architecture gives us ways to understand, filter out the noise, and focus on the important parts to help us get our bearings. It creates environments that are accessible, sustainable, and extensible. All in all, information architecture empowers us to find our own way in our own time by considering our experiences, expectations, and situations.
- All participants will receive an official certificate provided by the World IA Association signed by the local organizer and the president of the World IA Association.
- 9:30 AM Doors open
- 10:00 AM Welcome
Gabrielle Klein-Mejia, Community Manager & Content Strategist Consultant at Foothill Transit
- Origins and Destinations: The unique orientation and wayfinding challenges of various foothill Transit bus riders. Gabrielle will speak to unique physical transit problems, and the lessons that we can learn about general navigation practices.
Jessi Shakarian, Lead Accessibility Analyst at McDonald's
- Digital Accessibility in Wayfinding: How do different types of users perceive and understand their digital surroundings? Jessi will share about personal experiences working on digital products, how to make these products accessible to those with physical disabilities and how to give users confidence in their decisions. (all views are Jessi's and do not represent the views of McDonald's)
- Lunch Break*
Esri speaker theme: How a geographic approach creates a resilient, sustainable, and equitable future for our planet, places, and people.
Sheridan Moore, Senior Technical Consultant at Esri
- Information Architecture and Geographic Info. Systems: Imagery and remote sensing data delivers location intelligence that helps solve our cities most complex problems.
Richard Caballero, Product Design Lead at Esri
- Harnessing the Power of Synergy: GIS, IA, and UX in LA
Lauren Rosenfeld, UX/UI Designer at Esri
- Impactful Storytelling: Communicating design with Storymaps
- Esri Q&A Panel
- Interactive Retrospective Activity
- Global Keynote
- 5:00 PM Closing Remarks
*Food, drinks and snacks will be provided throughout the event.
We hope to see you there!
Tickets Prices in USD
Code of Conduct
World Information Architecture Association is dedicated to the empowerment of local leaders. Our celebrations inspire the global growth of information architecture as a community of practice. We are dedicated to bringing a diversity of thoughts and thinkers. Volunteers are working hard to bring this amazing celebration to locations all over the world. Our community is growing rapidly, with an estimated 4000+ attendees participating in a growing number of locations worldwide. As a volunteer-led organization, we rely on the active participation of our community, which can only happen if everyone attending World IA Day feels safe and respected. By attending World IA Day, you agree to WIAA's Code of Conduct
Terms and conditions
I authorize the World Information Architecture Association (WIAA), its organizers, representatives and suppliers to use, edit, reproduce, publish, transmit or distribute photographs, video footage and audio recordings of me captured/recorded during this event, in any and all publications, technological platforms or media of any kind whatsoever, including any social media or other media that may exist in the future. I, furthermore, agree to give this consent without expectation of payment, nor is there any time limit or geographic limitation as to where the above material may be released. I hereby waive any recourse, claim, action and damages of any kind whatsoever against WIAA, its successors and assigns, and where applicable, its employees, management and authorized representatives, arising from or incurred as a result of, whether directly or indirectly, an act covered by the scope of this agreement.
**Please be aware that since this is an in-person event, attendees who have not received the Covid-19 vaccine are expected to wear a mask at all times in the conference venue unless they are eating, drinking, or presenting on stage. Please note that this will also be dependent on CDC guidelines at the time. **