Introduction to node.js - Workshop
What is this workshop about?
This workshop intends to give an introduction to node.js for those who have had no previous experience or exposure to this platform. It is ideal for anyone who would like to understand its basics without digging too deep into the nitty-gritty details, but still walk away with a good understanding of what the framework can do.
Is this for me?
Right, so what will I learn then?
This one day workshop will walk you through and give you a good understanding of the following:
- The basics of node.js, its advantages and understanding why this platform was created in the first place
- Familiarise yourself with callbacks - see and understand the difference between sycn and asycn code
- Learn more about modules and sockets
- Get up and running with 'npm' (how to install dependencies for your node.js application)
- Learn how to build a basic web application server using only node.js
- Taking the previous step a bit further, you'll be introduced to ExpressJS - a web server, purpose-built for node
- Add socket.io into the mix and learn about real-time bidirectional event-based communication
- Rolling up your sleeves and get your hands dirty by writing a basic chat application using your own web server in node.js and Jade as your templating engine
- Bake your own RESTful API - learn how node.js/ExpressJS can help you
You will also be doing lab exercises and all the material is yours to take home.
The workshop will be delivered by Tamas Piros - a full stack web developer turned technical trainer and curriculum developer. Tamas has a decade of experience working with large, prestigious multinational telecommunications and media organisations such as Verizon, Panasonic and the BBC. Throughout his career Tamas has delivered training classes all over the world to both technical and non-technical audiences.
What do I need to attend?
- Your laptop (Mac, Linux, Windows...you name it) and your favourite editor (Sublime Text or similar)
- Pen & paper if you like to take notes in the old-school way
- Having node.js and npm setup on your laptop would help, but no big deal if you come without them
- Willingness to learn
Registration is not currently available.