Core Vim Masterclass, Berlin
From 14:00 to 17:00
Core Vim, with Drew Neil
Level up your Vim with this definitive masterclass
In the hands of a master Vim can shred text at the speed of thought, but learning how can take years. I know, because I learned the hard way: figuring out the stuff that isn’t obvious. But it needn’t take years of your life to reach this level. I’ll show you everything that matters in this 3 hour masterclass.
We’ll deal with Vim’s core functionality. The features that are relevant no matter whether you’re working with server config files, source code, or prose. My tips will improve your workflow across the board.
Once you’ve mastered Vim, you will resent having to use any other text editor. And that’s okay, because Vim runs everywhere!
Who is it for
This Core Vim masterclass is aimed at the intermediate user who wants to level up.
- you are familiar with the basics (not sure? Go through vimtutor)
- you have moved beyond using the arrow keys (not sure how? Read habit making, habit breaking)
- you feel that something is holding you back from reaching the next level
Come and see how Vim can blow your mind, or your money back.
What you will learn
- learn how to repeat the last change using the dot command
- meet the dot formula - a 2 step process with 1000 uses
- move your cursor wherever you want it to go with as little as 2 keystrokes
- attain enlightenment by understanding text objects
- Stop using counts! I will teach you to apply the same change over a visual range with the
- know the 2 lines of attack for text operations, and why old-style vi operators trump Visual mode
- DRY up your workflow with macros - your robotic sidekick
- learn how to execute your macros across multiple files using the arglist
If you've already read Practical Vim, then you may be familiar with the concepts covered in this class. The coursework doesn't correspond to any single chapter of my book, but joins the dots between the most important tips. We learn best by doing (as Confucius put it: "I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand."). In this class you'll get your hands dirty, learning best practices by applying them.
How it works
When you sign up for the masterclass, I'll ask for your github username. The learning materials are in a private github repository, to which you'll be granted access. We'll work through a series of exercises that are designed to teach Vim best practices. I teach this class using a combination of slides and live coding.
We’ll be using bare Vim (not vi - we’re not savages). You’ll be asked to leave your .vimrc at the door before entering my Vim Dojo.
Who is teaching
I'm Drew Neil. You may know me as the voice of Vimcasts. I'm passionate about Vim, and have made it my mission to help people get the most from this awesome tool. I wrote Practical Vim (Pragmatic Bookshelf, 2012) because I felt that learning Vim was too hard. It's the book that I wanted to read when I started out with Vim.
What you will get
- access to the VimDojo - an interactive lesson plan (vimtutor++)
- a copy of the slides used to teach the course, with annotations
- a 25% discount coupon for Practical Vim