Reactathon - Building Accessible Web Apps with React
About the Instructor: Erin Doyle
About the workshop
There is a significant portion of the population that have a disability that impairs their ability to effectively use the web. For some companies this is a usability concern in the pursuit of not excluding users or customers and for others it's a legal compliance concern. There are many tools and techniques available today that now make it possible to make our web apps accessible and even provide a great user experience inclusive of all users. However, it's a broad landscape and can be overwhelming where to start! This workshop aims to give students a strong head start by covering the following:
- Learn about the different disability groups and how they are impacted by web in-accessibility
- Work with tools for inspecting and testing for accessibility issues
- Learn to access web sites in the same way impaired users do
- Write accessible and extensible UI elements
- Write accessible custom UI widgets
- Iteratively test to see our accessibility issues resolved!
By the end of this workshop hopefully students will have a much better understanding of their target users and how to approach their web apps from those perspectives when testing for accessibility. The tools learned should help jump start students' ability to audit their own web apps for accessibility issues and point them towards how to learn more and effectively resolve those issues. Finally students will end up with a nice base of example React components that are accessible and can be used or built upon in their own applications.
- Familiarity with ES6+
- Working knowledge of React
- Working laptop set up for React development (node, npm, editor installed)
Super Early Bird - Tickets are $399
Early Bird - Tickets are $499
General Admission - Tickets are $599
Tickets Prices in USD
This ticket gets you access to the Building Accessible Web Apps with React with Erin Doyle on Saturday, March 30. Location is TBD but will be downtown San Francisco. Sorry, no refunds. Transfers ok.