Functional way to build modern web solutions with F# Safe Stack
F# excels at building efficient, scalable and robust web solutions. Web programming is based around receiving a single HTTP request and replying with a result, which maps very well to a stateless, functional approach. Advantages to using F# for web programming include using high level, declarative, composable code, interop with rich .Net ecosystem, and using battle-tested solutions like Kestrel and ASP.NET Core. The introduction of the SAFE stack presents significant productivity gains for .NET developers to build full stack web applications in F# which run on both the server and in the user’s web browser, whilst taking advantage of F#'s functional-first feature set and capabilities, including reduce bug rates and quicker time to market.
About the instructor
This course is conducted by Krzysztof Cieslak, experienced F# developer, international speaker, open source contributor, founder of Lambda Factory, author of Ionide and Saturn, co-founder of SAFE stack initiative. It's great opportunity to fast track your F# skills, and learn about productive, performant, modern web stack created by F# community.
Not only for F# developers
You don't need to be F# developer to take part in this training. If you use OOP language like C# or maybe you are a front-end developer using Node.js or Elm, this workshop is also for you! You have heard about functional paradigm or even you may have used some of the functional paradigm features and you would like to go further. Join Krzysztof in his workshop to leverage the full power of statically typed functional language to build robust web solutions.
This is what you learn
- If you are not familiar with F# you will be introduced to basic F# features that will help you to follow the workshop.
- Write end-to-end applications that run on the server and browser, utilizing F# for the entire system
- Develop high-performance web applications in F# which run across Mac, Windows or Linux
- Effectively use the SAFE stack toolchain including the .NET CLI and Fable to be productive when developing new applications
- Create scalable, functional-first, stateless back-end web APIs on .NET Core entirely in F#.
- Build maintainable, evolvable front end web applications in Fable with the Elmish architecture.
- Some fundamentals of web technologies
- A basic understanding of the command line (navigating between directories and running commands)
You need following equipment
- A laptop running one of Mac OSX, Linux or Windows
- A .Net core 2.0 or greater installation
- An F# code editor. We recommend either Visual Studio Code with the Ionide extension, Visual Studio 2017 or Jetbrains Rider
- If you’re running on Mac OSX or Linux, you’ll also need an installation of Mono.
Workshop is held in English.
Registration is not currently available.