FOSS4G-NA 2019 San Diego
Free and Open Source Software for Geospatial Mission Bay, San Diego
Be sure to see the latest program at 2019.foss4g-na.org/program
|Mon, Apr 15||B2B / Government Day||Marina Village|
|Tue, Apr 16||FOSS4G NA Day 1||Marina Village|
|Wed, Apr 17||FOSS4G NA Day 2||Marina Village|
|Wed, Apr 17||Gala Dinner||Marina Village|
|Thu, Apr 18||Workshop Day||Marina Village|
The conference provides opportunities for the FOSS4G community to learn, explore, share, and collaborate on the latest ideas and information.
FOSS4G NA is all about community. Contributors, adopters, users, extenders, teachers, service providers, consumers and business and research organizations gather to share their expertise and learn from each other. FOSS4G delivers camaraderie and networking opportunities that lead to synergies in the community, as well as opportunities to give and receive help on specific technical issues or to generate business opportunities.
Unlike many other conferences, the sessions and keynotes at FOSS4G NA are chosen by an independent program committee, allowing us to consistently offer a high-quality program.
Join Our Mailing List
The conference will be held at the Marina Village Conference Center, which is located just inside Mission Bay Channel and only minutes away from the Pacific Ocean.
Bartell Hotels is proud to be the exclusive hotel provider for the Marina Village Conference Center guests. Bartell Hotels offers many properties all in close proximity to the Conference Center and major attractions.
FOSS4G guests will receive 15% off best available rate at the below Bartell hotel properties:
- The Dana on Mission Bay (Only .5 miles from the Conference Center)
- Days Inn San Diego Hotel Circle Near SeaWorld
- Hilton Harbor Island
- Holiday Inn San Diego Bayside
- Humphreys Half Moon Inn
- Sheraton La Jolla Hotel
- Pacific Terrace
To secure your discount, book online at this link or make reservations over the phone by calling 1.800.345.9995.
Other Nearby Hotels
- Hyatt Regency Mission Bay Spa and Marina (Only .6 miles from the Conference Center)
- Bahia Resort Hotel (Only 1.3 miles from the Conference Center)
- Paradise Point Resort & Spa (Only 1.3 miles from the Conference Center)
- Holiday Inn Express San Diego-Sea World Area (Only 1.3 miles from the Conference Center)
Local Neighborhoods for AirBnB Stays
If convenience and a quick commute to the conference is a priority, then Mission Beach is the neighborhood for you. This laid-back beach community is full of beach cottages bungalows, and studios, offering you a wide range of rental options. The community is also a great place for the family, as it offers a little something for everyone. SeaWorld San Diego and Belmont Park, a boardwalk amusement park, are great kid-friendly activities, while a bustling boardwalk full of restaurants and bars offers entertainment for the adults. The beaches and water sports, like surfing, paddleboarding, and boating, attract both the young and old alike.
Just north of Mission Beach is another beach community known as Pacific Beach, or PB as the locals call it. The Pacific Beach Pier sits at the intersection of the major cross streets of PB: Garnet Ave. & Mission Blvd. To the north of the Pier along Mission Blvd is a series of small inns and hotels. With a thriving bar scene and nightlife, PB caters to a younger and more active crowd. Garnet Avenue forms the major hub for places to eat, drink, and shop, and includes a range of bars, restaurants, pubs, and coffee houses. Garnet Avenue cuts through an expanse of single family homes and small apartment complexes, encompassing the area from the bay to Mount Soledad.
Further north up the coastline sits La Jolla, an upscale beach neighborhood that offers an abundance of activities, ranging from fine dining and shopping to hiking and kayaking. The downtown area is the place to go for boutique shops, restaurants, art galleries, and museums. If outdoor activities are more your thing, then head to the Torrey Pines State Park for incredible hikes along coastal cliffs or rent a kayak to check out the La Jolla Caves, a network of sea caves accessible only by water. If your staying in the neighborhood and want to spot some wildlife, be sure to head to the Children’s Pool La Jolla to catch sight of seals and sea lions basking on the beach.
If you are interested in staying downtown or closer to the airport, then the neighborhood of Little Italy might be a better fit for you. Located just 5 minutes from the airport, Littly Italy is a trendy neighborhood that offers the most vibrant food scene in San Diego. India Street and Kettner Street are constantly abuzz with visitors heading to the many restaurants, cafes, and bars that line these two streets. If you are staying in the neighborhood, be sure to check out the pedestrian-only Piazza della Famiglia, which houses the Little Italy Food Hall, a modern take on the food court with 6 boutique food stations and a full bar.
Getting Around San Diego
The quickest and most convenient way to get from the the San Diego International Airport to the Marina Village Conference Center is by car. The conference center is just a 15-minute drive from the airport.
The Rental Car Center at San Diego International Airport provides visitors with an easy, reliable, and comfortable experience for renting a vehicle. The Center is home to most of the rental car companies including national brands, local companies, and independent businesses in one central location.
If not renting a car, taxis and ride shares (Uber/Lyft) are abundant and can easily get you where you need to go during your time in San Diego.
San Diego offers many modes of public transportation providing travelers with economical and eco-friendly options to explore the region. Get your transit pass loaded onto your Compass Card at any trolley station ticket machine, or download Compass Cloud, the free mobile ticketing app where you can purchase 1-day and 30-day passes from your smartphone for immediate use anytime, anywhere.
The best way to plan your trips around the city is with the MTS Trip Planner.
- There are plenty of routes that offer service throughout San Diego including MTS Bus, Rapid, Rapid Express and NCTD BREEZE. Be sure to check schedules and plan your routes in advance. For maps and trip planning for San Diego's South County, visit sdmts.com. For bus schedules and information for San Diego's North County, visit GoNCTD.com.
- The nearest bus stop is 0.5 miles from the Conference Center and is located at the crossroads of West Mission Bay Drive and Dana Landing Road.
Trains & Trolleys
- At a little under 4 miles away, the Old Town Transit Center is the nearest trolley station to the Marina Village Conference Center and is located in historical Old Town San Diego Park. In addition to serving the San Diego Trolley, the Old Town Transit Center serves two additional rail options for trips outside of the city of San Diego. The Coaster commuter rail connects Old Town to several coastal communities throughout north San Diego County including Solana Beach, Encinitas, Carlsbad and Oceanside. The Amtrak Pacific Surfliner connects San Diego to Anaheim, Los Angeles, Santa Barbara, San Luis Obispo and many places in between.
- If you're staying in and around Southern San Diego, Downtown, Mission Valley or just east of the city, the iconic Metropolitan Transit System (MTS) bright red trolley is a fun, easy and convenient way to get around. The Trolley provides convenient services from key locations including the Santa Fe Depot and the San Diego Convention Center, crisscrossing through downtown and out to Old Town, Mission Valley, El Cajon and Santee.
- There are four trolley lines (UC San Diego Blue, Orange, Sycuan Green and SDG&E Silver) that service the Downtown San Diego communities and beyond, covering 53 miles of double-track railway, and 53 stations total. Trolleys run an average of every 15 minutes, 7 minutes during peak and 30 minutes during off-peak hours. For maps and trip planning, visit sdmts.com.
Additional Modes of Transport
Numerous dockless bike and scooter companies operate in San Diego, offering a convenient method for short trips around the city.
Below are some of the most popular bike and scooter options in the city:
Cancellations received 8 weeks prior to the conference (Feb 16, 2019) will receive a refund of the conference registration. Cancellations received after that date are not eligible for refunds however substitutions will be allowed.
If your company is looking to connect with experienced developers and users of location aware and related technologies, FOSS4G NA 2019 is the place to be. We love helping our sponsors find innovative ways to interact with the community and achieve a great return on their investment in the conference.
Sponsors of FOSS4G NA have a unique opportunity to be an integral part of the entire event. The 2018 conference program will include technical sessions on current topics pertinent to the FOSS4G community, such as web mapping, spatial databases, geoprocessing, and more.