EMDR Child and Adolescent Committee - Using Stories for Trauma and Attachment Resolution (6 CPD credits - EMDR UK & Ireland members)
Incorporating storytelling into an EMDR treatment plan can be helpful to children of all ages and to adults who experienced trauma as children. The workshop is intended for those who have completed, as a minimum, EMDR Europe Accredited Training Part 1 and whose core profession qualifies them to work with children and adolescents. It will be of interest and value to those working with adult clients with a history of early childhood trauma but is not a substitute for attending the accredited Child EMDR trainings, if a clinician wishes to work with children and adolescents.
Drawing on the work of Joan Lovett and others the workshop will provide participants with the opportunity to practise writing stories or narratives that can be used as part of EMDR treatment.
The Presenters will outline the rationale for using storytelling with EMDR and illustrate this with a range of case studies with clients of different ages and experiences; briefly describe the process of incorporating stories into EMDR and provide a framework for participants to use in the practicum.
This workshop will be presented by Dr. Alexandra Dent, Mike O'Connor, Alison Russell and Dr. Robin Logie.
The aims are to:
- Consider why, when and how to include storytelling in EMDR.
- Provide an opportunity for participants to write a story or narrative based on their own case material.
- Share experiences of using narratives in EMDR with children of different ages.
- Describe a framework for constructing narratives for use in EMDR treatment.
- Practise writing narratives in small groups.
- Learn about the rationale for using storytelling in EMDR.
- Learn when to consider using this approach with children and adolescents.
- Learn about the benefits to clients.
- Be introduced to a framework for writing stories for use with EMDR clients and learn how to use it.
Teaching Methodology / Format:
Lecture/ Practicum/ Discussion
The workshop is intended for those who have completed, as a minimum, EMDR Europe Accredited Training Part 1 and whose core profession qualifies them to work with children and adolescents. It will be of interest and value to those working with adult clients with a history of early childhood trauma.
How will this event develop EMDR practice?
The emphasis in this workshop will be on developing EMDR clinical skills in relation to using stories for trauma and attachment resolution with children and adolescents.
Previous workshop participants gave the following feedback
"very informative ..... videos useful to see narrative in action"
"lots of case descriptions brought theory to life"
"very informed trainers and lots of input given to small groups"
Detailed directions to The Priory Rooms