Technical Leadership Masterclass - Remote, September 2021
Note to those registered: Please check your spam/junk email if you haven't received emails with slack info!
Technical Leadership Masterclass
Two online sessions, the first on September 16 and the second on September 23, 2021, at 10AM - 1PM ET (4PM - 7PM CEST). These will be supplemented with optional prework, inter-session work, and afterwork including videos, readings, and discussion thereof.
Technical leaders are looked to for direction setting and guidance, and decisions are of great consequence both to the business and for development teams. Before we can lead others, we first need to have self-awareness, confidence and humility. The emphasis of this masterclass is on technical leadership in the context of complex socio-technical systems. We assume that we all bring experience to the masterclass, and we're building on that. We embed discussion and practice elements focused on the how of being a more effective leader, within a framework (OODA, or sense/make sense/respond) for navigating both day-to-day and more strategically focused work. The topics cover a range:
- Leadership and what it means to be an effective leader in various settings
- Building relationships, trust and safety
- Working across organizations to bridge strategy and business outcomes and technical decisions and practices
- Building judgment and decision making skills and repertoire
- What it means to work across technical teams, and what we can bring to that
- Developing professional curiosity, observation, opportunity discovery, problem solving
- Dealing with organizational dynamics (politics); magnifying your ability to get things done working with and through people
Instructors: Ruth Malan and Dana Bredemeyer
More information: www.ruthmalan.com