Sports Law Ireland Conference 2019
LawInSport in partnership with the Sports Law Bar Association of Ireland will be hosting a one-day conference in Dublin on the 8 February 2019 to discuss contemporary issues in sports law and celebrate the contribution of Irish Sports Lawyers and Sports Business Professionals contribution to the development of international sports governance, regulation and law.
The conference will include four panel discussions on:
- Has eSports industry finally matured?
- Regulating Mixed Martial Arts and athlete welfare
- Changes to the sporting betting industry and the impact of the Independent Tennis Integrity Report
- Sports media rights – new distribution methods and competition law
Sports Law Bar Association of Ireland Chairman, Paul McGarry: “As a new and dynamic sports law association we are delighted at this early stage to be working in partnership with LawInSport to delivery what we consider will be a cutting-edge sports law conference attractive to both Irish and International lawyers and members of the sports industry. LawInSport has led the field in delivering unique events that bring key players, commentators and advisors in the sports law field together and we believe the Sports Law Ireland 2019 conference will be a superb addition to the calendar.”
LawInSport CEO, Sean Cottrell: “We are honoured to be working with the Sports Law Bar Association of Ireland to help them in their work to support the Irish sports and legal community to develop domestic and international sports law. The Irish have long had a reputation for being passionate and informed sports fans which is reflected in their contribution to international sports law and sports development. We are proud to be able to celebrate this with what promises to be a fantastic day and evening of discussion and networking in Dublin with our Irish colleagues."
Please find below a list of confirmed speakers;
Panel 1: Has the eSports industry finally matured?
- David Casserly, Barrister and Attorney (Panel Chairperson)
- Vyte Danileviciute, International Counsel, Riot Games
- Andrew Nixon, Head of Sport and eSports, Sheridans
- Jeffrey Benz, Arbitrator and Meditator, 4 New Square and JAMS and the Court of Arbitration for Sport
Panel 2: Sports media rights – new distribution methods and competition law
- Louise Reilly, Barrister (Panel Chairperson)
- Benoit Keane, Solicitor/Avocat , Keane Legal
- Ian Lynam, Partner, Northridge
- Lynsey Mulvihill, Senior Legal Counsel, World Rugby
- Alex Slade, VP Legal, EMEA, Eleven Sports (new speaker added)
Panel 3: Changes to the sporting betting industry and the impact of the Independent Tennis Integrity Report
- Rob McTernaghan, Barrister and Sports Lawyer (Panel Chairperson)
- Susan Ahern, Barrister and former General Counsel of World Rugby
- Daniel Wallach, Gaming Law and Sports Betting Attorney at Wallach Legal and Co-founder UNH Law Sports Wagering & Integrity Program
- Cliodhna Guy, Head of Licensing, Legal and Compliance, The Irish Horseracing Regulatory Board
Panel 4: Regulating Mixed Martial Arts and athlete welfare
- Paul McGarry SC, President of Irish Sports Law Bar Association (Panel Chairperson)
- Prof Jack Anderson, Professor of Sports Law, Melbourne University
- Isobel Carnwath, Director of Brand, Commerce and Communications, International Mixed Martial Arts Federation (IMMAF)
- Gareth Farrelly, Solicitor and Former Republic of Ireland & Premier League football player.
- Aisling Daly, Former UFC fighter, Safe MMA ambassador (new speaker added)
Event starts at 12 noon and will finish at 5.30pm. Event will be followed by a reception in The Sheds (onsite). Networking drinks kindly sponsored by JAMS, Mediation, Arbitration and ADR Services.
Companies attending include:
- CMB Advogados Associados
- Hayes Solicitors
- Pinsent Masons
- Philip Lee
- Mason Hayes & Curran
- Dillon Eustace
- Horse Sport Ireland
- LK Shields
- William Fry