EventStorming Facilitation Virtual Workshop
This virtual workshop with Paul Rayner consists of 3 sessions on Nov 10-12 from 9am-Noon (MST) each day.
Collaboration between different disciplines in your organization can be difficult, and finding clarity and alignment on both the right problem to solve and the right solution design even more so. We each approach improvement from our own (limited) perspective, without taking into account the whole story. How is that effective?
EventStorming is a workshop format that promotes collaboration between different disciplines in order to solve business problems in the most effective way.
What you will learn
In this highly hands-on and interactive virtual workshop you'll learn advanced EventStorming facilitation skills spanning from large scale business discovery to collaborative solution design at the team level.
Learn how to facilitate the different EventStorming formats applied to real business problems, taking into account the different perspectives (including the facilitator). Practice applying EventStorming to various problems, reflecting on your learning and questions as we go deeper into the techniques.
Learn tips and tricks for effective facilitation of collaborative workshops in both in-person and virtual settings, and practice planning an EventStorming session for your own context.
"We really enjoyed the EventStorming workshop! Paul’s facilitation style and methodology made the exercise easy to understand, and participation and collaboration came with ease. He’s very good at tactfully encouraging differing opinions through thoughtful discussion. The workshop was a huge success with a highly valuable end result!"
Session 1 - Introducing EventStorming
- Explain the kinds of problems EventStorming is optimized for
- Describe what a domain event is and give examples
- Practice EventStorming a narrative together
- Define key events and show how to identify them in a narrative
- Practice modeling a process using milestones as structural guides
- Apply making process problems and unknowns visible
Session 2 - Using EventStorming to Understand a Process
- EventStorm your own business process
- Enrich a timeline with actors and their motivations
- Leverage key events to identify sub-process goals
- Make significant business policies and decisions explicit
- Summarize key techniques for staying focused when domain modeling
Session 3 - Using EventStorming to Design a Solution
- Apply collaborative modeling to sketch modeling options quickly
- Identify lifecycle stages in a timeline
- Blend user experience design and service design into software design
- Summarize virtual and in-person facilitation tips and tricks
- Compare different powerful questions to drive deeper modeling
- Design your own EventStorming workshop
- Three instructor-led hands-on 3 hour online class sessions.
- Live instruction using Zoom and Miro (i.e. collaborative online whiteboard) in each session.
- After every workshop session you’ll have time for deep-dive discussions during optional “office hours” sessions with Paul, your instructor.
- You will need a good webcam, internet connection and microphone to participate in this workshop. In order to maximize engagement, we require all participants keep their webcams on during the workshop.
- We will send you detailed instructions for the workshop a couple of weeks prior.
- Upon finishing the class you will receive an electronic certificate of achievement.
This workshop is highly hands-on, varied, and interactive. We will be doing group exercises in Zoom breakout rooms. By spreading the training into shorter interactive virtual sessions, we minimize the impact to your daily work and keep your energy levels high.
Virtual learning can be intense, so there will be scheduled breaks every hour. Plus, if your kids interrupt, dogs bark, or you need to step away for a bit, that's just part of the experience and perfectly fine with us. Our goal is for you to leave the workshop energized and ready to put into practice what you've learned. In attending this virtual workshop you agree to:
- Be present while also taking care of your needs.
- Extend empathy and acceptance to the other participants.
- Be on video and avoid unnecessary distractions.
Who Should Attend
Anybody who works in software teams or with software teams will be able to fully participate in this workshop and take away concrete skills they can apply in real working situations. This includes software developers, architects, testers, product owners, business analysts, delivery managers, engineering managers, directors, and CTOs.
"Our EventStorming session with Paul was a huge success. He’s very adept at guiding and informing the process while allowing participants to storm, discuss and ultimately reach their own conclusions. We emerged from the session with a much better understanding and greater agreement around our domains."
About Paul Rayner
Paul Rayner is a developer, instructor, coach, consultant, and popular conference speaker with over thirty years of software development experience. Paul provides DDD and EventStorming training and coaching through Virtual Genius.
Paul is the founder and chair of the Explore DDD conference, the premier domain-driven design conference in North America, and co-founder of DDD Denver. He is also the author of The EventStorming Handbook, and a co-author of Behavior-Driven Development with Cucumber. He lives in Denver, Colorado, with his wife and two teenagers.
Don’t See What You’re Looking For?
Send us a message at email@example.com and we'll gladly answer any other questions you may have about our workshops and coaching.